Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Aron Ralston - my new obsession


So I'm sure you're all familiar with James Franco, Oscar host and star of 127 hours, but do you know that the REAL Aron Ralston actually exists? Yes. Somebody really cut his own arm off with what he describes to be "a knife as dull as a rubber band". Aron Ralston, a crunchy, tree hugging, Carnegie Melon graduate was an ordinary American mountain climber until 1993 when he was trapped under a rock and forced to cut his own limb off. He survived without food or sleep for five days and resorted to drinking his own urine. In his speech at Duke University, Ralston gave a detailed account of his experience, so detailed in fact that somebody actually fainted and had to be carried out of the auditorium.

Five Things I learned from Aron:

1. Save the arteries, break the bone
2. Avoid mountain climbing
3. Eat copious amounts of food at every meal in case faced with five day stuck-under-a-rock situation
4. Stay in bed. Better safe than sorry.
5. When having a bad day, think to yourself "Did I have to drink my own pee today?"

2 comments:

  1. haha I like your post - found it because I was looking up the real Aron after watching the film. What a story, what a place! How do you save the arteries? forget that one. Great photo of Aron.

    ReplyDelete